Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Super Squirrel

I was taking the dog out this morning on his leash. (Funny story for another blog.) As he was doing his business, I heard a rustling above me. It was a squirrel. He was nimbly moving along the branches with what looked to be a leaf on a branch in his mouth. (I am assuming that he was getting something for his nest.) He worked his way to the end of a branch that appeared to be the thickness of a small twig. The squirrel was moving up and down much like a diver on the end of a board getting ready to make the plunge into a pool.

The squirrel was going to make a plunge, but not into water. It was clear that if he was moving forward, the next place left to go for the squirrel was to the side of the pine tree about 4 feet away. (If you think about the distance in relation to his size - that is pretty darn far!) The squirrel paused for a moment, tucked the leaf securely in his mouth and plunged. He flew the distance through the air, stuck the landing and was headed up the pine tree. I wasn’t witnessing a miracle - as I have seen squirrels do this before. What I did witness was something amazing that God had created. God gave the squirrel the ability to move quickly along the braches of the tree. God gave the squirrel the gift and the tools to make the jump. He did what God has designed him to do. What about you? God has designed you to do amazing things.

“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” - Psalm 139: 13-16.

God knew what you were capable of even before you breathed your first breath. He has given you the gifts and the tools to accomplish His will for your life. When the squirrel got to the end of the branch, he did not hesitate. He knew that he could make the jump because that is how God designed him. The problem with man is that we are given into doubt and temptation that keeps us from accomplishing great things for Christ. But the good thing is that we have the ability to overcome them,

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus, for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2: 8-9

What is stopping you from being what God had designed you to be?

No comments: